I've been working on some fat quarters for a fabric exchange and finally finished up my contribution. I must say it was a learning experience!
The technique I used I discovered via Wardrobe Refashion. It was a super way for me to experiment as I was able to work completely from my stash of supplies. I had to play with a few other techniques too though.
I started by doing some stamping with linoleum blocks I had carved. I came up with one print that I liked fairly well, but I could tell pretty quickly that this wasn't going to be the best process for me.
I decided to to try a little more stamping with a gum eraser. I was very uneven with my pressure while stamping fabric however, so I got all kinds of patterns. I actually liked that a lot. Then I started blending fabric paint for a variety of custom colors and had a lot of fun. But then I couldn't waste the extra fabric paint, so I grabbed one of the white fat quarters I had prepped for the project and wiped away.... I looked at my fabric and thought, "Hmm...that's pretty cool. If I got it wet the paint would disperse." It turned in to a very messy fun experience. And I really liked how it came out. But I still wanted to play with the silk screening, so I created this lily and tried silk screening on top of my marbled fabric. Still messy and still fun.
The best part of this for me was the realization that I can create prints on fabric that I like. I'm trying to only buy organic cotton, hemp, or recycled fabrics. Being able to add images that I like to fabric will give me a lot more options for my projects.