I've been reminded that sewing with knits and altering patterns can be a bit scary...
I have made a lot of pj's with my experiments. Some don't even make it to that stage. Those end up as rags.
My latest experiment will have to be used as a rag...good thing I used scraps from the t-shirt. And that's actually part of the process, testing the pattern. Especially if the body type is not considered "average."
On Saturday I decided to try the tank top pattern from Alabama Studio Style. I didn't have high hopes that it would fit, but I wanted to see how close I'd be to the sizing.
*A good case of the giggles.
*Knowledge. I know that it fits, sort of (surprise!). But I would need a lot more ease to feel comfortable. That's pretty easy to fix with this pattern as it has princess seams. The length was way off. But again, the princess seam will make that easy to fix too.
This was much more successful. If any part of a t shirt is going to be difficult for me, it's the neckline. I decided to try the binding method described in Alabama Studio Style and did some hand stitching. The first time round with the binding looked nice but didn't lay right. I decided to fold it over one more time and stitch it down again. It worked!
For anyone thinking about trying a project with knits; the most important thing I think is to start with a new needle designed for knits (if using a sewing machine) and to go slow.
And then there is the hat: